Creating an award winning retail destination for Europe.
One of Europe's largest retail developments, Puerto Venecia covers an area of 600,000m2. Situated in Zaragoza, the site required considerable earth movement works, due to the uneven landscape, as well as exhaustive cost studies to establish the most economical levels at which to set the buildings.
- A two-level shopping mall with a family entertainment zone, cinema and sports area
- Green space and walking areas
- A 7,500m2 boating lake
- An manmade canal that converts into an ice rink in winter
- A bridge over the motorway to offer access from the ring road
Drawing footfall to a newly created destination during the global financial crisis
Gleeds’ project and cost management services helped deliver the complex on time and on budget, due to our innovative design-to-cost approach.
The economic crisis posed a number of challenges. Ownership changed hands several times and costs needed to be reduced without compromising quality.
To provide our client Eurofund Investments with strict budgetary control, we:
- Kept 4 staff on site at all times, in order to resource the procurement processes fast-tracking
- Conducted value engineering exercises resulting in savings of 10%
- Retendered the works to take advantage of lower building costs
- Performed continuous cost planning until near the end of the project
- Maintained regular dialogue with the designers to stick to budget
- Applied a flexible approach to procurement, to meet the demands of incoming tenants
Since completion, Puerto Venecia has been named:
- Best retail and leisure development (MAPIC awards 2013)
- Best big shopping centre in Spain (AECC awards 2014)